The Alexander Stewart Quarry is located in the small town of Rockland Ontario. The quarry was built in the late 1800's and continued operation until approx. 1912. Please see the historical photographs below, dated 1889, as per Archives Canada.
The block stones from the Quarry were used to build many of the local building in the area.
All that remains of the quarry is a lime stone Kiln and anchors in the concrete.
Exploration and Mining History:
Circa 1889-1912 : abandoned and partly-overgrown.
Mineral location - calcite and abundant fossils. Displays a significant geological section of the Gull River and Bobcaygeon Formations.
Limestone (building stones), limestone (cement/chemical flux)