Culbute Locks and Dam are a couple of kilometres west of Chichester, PQ on the Culbute Channel in the Ottawa River on the north side of Allumette Island. They were built between 1873 and 1876 as part of the larger Georgian Bay Ship Canal project. They were in use until 1889 when they were abandoned.
The following historical information was written and provided by the Cultural Heritage Ottawa River.org
A survey for the Ottawa River – Lake Huron route was carried out in 1856 by snowshoe. Despite the belief that this route would open up the country for iron ore, waterpower, and the cereals of the west, the only other canal construction on the Upper Ottawa was at the Rock Portage on the northwest end of Allumette Island (Kennedy 135).
Lumber interests persuaded the government to build a canal on the Culbute channel at the Calumet Rapids, known as the Rock Portage. Construction of the locks took place from 1873‐1876, involving two combined locks and opening up 124 kilometres of interior river navigation (Canadian Public Works Association 124). The Culbute Locks were outmoded before they were even completed. They were abandoned soon after their construction (Legget 1975: 174).