The Shipman Mine was hard to access. After walking through the woods and crossing two streams we finally ended up on what seemed to be an ATV trail. We walked up and down multiple trails for hours and found nothing. In our last hope we took a narrow path which led to a cabin in the woods. After examining the cabin, we found the opening to the Shipman Mine about 50 meters away from the cabin. The mine is flooded inside and has two parallel openings.
The following historical information was written and provided by Ministry of Northern Development and Mines Ontario.
Circa 1870 : pyrite was mined from an irregular pit 40 x 30 ft. A tunnel, started near the foot of the hill, was run S about 10 ft where a raise was cut to meet the bottom of the open pit, near the top of the hill. It is claimed that the reason for closing the mine was the high % of pyrrhotite mixed with the ore.
06-Oct-00 (C Papertzian) - A possible fracture zone, about 1.5 ml long (see GSC map 7-1963), is mineralized with pyrite and pyrrhotite. Apparently, the mineralization occurs as a number of lenses along this zone, in quartzose gneiss and interbanded marble.
Site Visit Information
Geologist : C Papertzian
Notes: This property was visited on October 1, 2004. The main opening measures 30 feet by 30 feet. A secondary opening of 4 feet by 4 feet was noted at the other side of the main opening. Water filled the bottom of the opening to a depth of 2 feet. Some large crystals of pyrite could be seen in the back and sides of the main opening.